Town of Woodland Board Minutes
Date: January 5th, 2023
Randy Beale - Mayor
David Cooper – Commissioner
Barbara Outland - Commissioner
Brian Christison – Commissioner
Eddie Hoggard – Police Chief
Raymond Eaton – ORC
Donielle McDermott – Town Clerk
Commissioner Morris was absent.
Call to Order: Mayor Beale called the meeting to order at 7pm. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited followed by a moment of silent reflection.
Approval of Agenda: The first item of business was the approval or amendment of the agenda. Commissioner Christison made a motion to amend the agenda to add 9b Southern Software and 6b John Bradley and to approve the agenda. Commissioner Cooper seconded and the motion carried.
Approval of Minutes: The next item on the agenda was the approval or amendment of the regular meeting dated December 1, 2022. Commissioner Christison made a motion to approve the minutes as written. Commissioner Outland seconded and the motion carried.
Consideration of Bills: Commissioner Cooper made a motion to pay all the current bills and to also pay all the regular bills that come in throughout the month. Commissioner Outland seconded and the motion carried.
Public Comments: No public comments.
Phillip Barnes – Roof Estimate:
a. Phillip Barnes, a representative of Roof Central presented the board with an estimate of $27,536.33 to pressure clean the roof, spray polyurethane foam application, topcoat foam protectant, and a 20-year leak free warranty. Mr. Barnes said it would take 3-4 days to complete and they need it to be above freezing to install the roof and dry. At year 15, the company will go on the roof to check the topcoat. The Board thanked Mr. Barnes and said they will discuss and get back with him.
b. John Bradley turned in a quote for $9,335.00 to remove drywall on all perimeter walls, clean the mold, install and finish new drywall on perimeter walls, remove debris when the project is complete, patch and repair existing walls throughout the interior, and provide materials and labor to paint all interior walls. The Board thanked Mr. Bradley and said they will discuss and get back with him.
Fire Department: Robbie Collier read the monthly report to the board.
• The board is invited to the annual Ladies Night dinner on January 10, 2023 at 7 pm at the firehouse.
• The fire department has not heard back from Woodland Olney Apartment manager Emily Torres regarding the safety issues.
• Commissioner Cooper made a point that the fire tax the department receives is worth it because 78 of the 105 calls were out of town.
Police Report: Chief Hoggard read the monthly report.
• The week of January 16th, Chief Hoggard will be at the Chief’s convention.
• The Toyota Avalon has been stored at Timberlake’s. Chief Hoggard requested the town pay for a storage fee. Commissioner Christison made a motion to use GL # 10-510-64 to pay $1,000 to Timberlake’s for storage fee for the Toyota Avalon. Commissioner Cooper seconded and the motion carried.
a. Commissioner Cooper made a motion to amend the audit contract from 10/31/22 to 1/15/23. Commissioner Christison seconded and the motion carried.
b. Commissioner Christison made a motion to renew the Southern Software FMS agreement for April 1, 2024 ending March 31, 2025 for $4,033.00 Commissioner Outland seconded and the motion carried.
Commissioner Christison made a motion to renew the Southern Software FMS agreement for July 1, 2023 ending June 30, 2024 for $2,250.00 Commissioner Outland seconded and the motion carried.
Maintenance Report: Raymond Eaton read the monthly report.
• The town recently received the WWTP Permit.
• The water tower was drained to do the annual tank cleaning. The town hooked to county water during this time.
• Mr. Eaton thanked Robbie Collier for all his help the past few months.
• Robbie Collier thanked Commissioner Cooper for helping with the water leak today and another three weeks ago.
• Mr. Eaton is working on signing Kenny Godfrey up for the C Distribution test.
• Commissioner Cooper asked Mr. Eaton what he would like to use the old generator for since a new one is being put in at the new lift station. Mr. Eaton would like to use it to run the well in George.
• Mr. Eaton told the board he is interested in purchasing the old Nationwide Building form the town if they would like to sell it.
CDBG: The monthly report is included in the Minute Book.
CWSRF: A survey for the property and a couple of the easements need to be done for this project. Mrs. McDermott and Attorney Culpepper have reached out to a couple of local surveyors for this, but the surveyors have not responded back. Rivers and Associates can do the work for an additional $6,000. Commissioner Cooper made a motion to hire Rivers and Associates to do the survey and easements necessary for this project for $6,000. Commissioner Christison seconded and the motion carried.
Comments from the Mayor: Mayor Beale reached out to Franklin Williams regarding the internet testing and strength. He also called US Cellular to inquire about the internet strength. They asked for his address and found that there is not enough strength at his address for good internet service through US Cellular. Different areas throughout town may have different results.
Comments from the Commissioners: Commissioner Christison said the town needs to do all we can to conserve fuel. We are well over budget and it’s still early in the year.
Public Comments: No public comments
Adjourn: At 8:15, Commissioner Outland made a motion to adjourn. Commissioner Cooper seconded and the motion carried.